Zurück   TT-NEWS Tischtennis Forum > Regional, National & International > International Table Tennis > international discussion (english speaking) > Table Tennis Equipment
Registrieren Hilfe Kalender

Table Tennis Equipment Forum with reviews and discussions about Table Tennis rackets, rubbers, blades and other equipment. >> powered by www.TT-SHOP.net

Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Alt 25.03.2024, 18:21
Benutzerbild von Carline
Carline Carline ist offline
registrierter Besucher
Junior-Forenmitglied

Carline ist verbrannt und wird nicht mehr ernst genommen (Renommeepunkte mindestens -500)Carline ist verbrannt und wird nicht mehr ernst genommen (Renommeepunkte mindestens -500)Carline ist verbrannt und wird nicht mehr ernst genommen (Renommeepunkte mindestens -500)Carline ist verbrannt und wird nicht mehr ernst genommen (Renommeepunkte mindestens -500)
Why does reverse rubber need pips underneath?

I am sure many players have wondered about this (about 65 year old) question.

Would a rubber with no pimples underneath be acceptable to ITTF ? (I know current rules say no).

I am sure this was tested long ago but never was approved or caught on or whatever.

I have always wondeed how such a rubber would play

But I know for sure that reverse rubbers with shorter pimples underneath are good defensively.

I found TSP New Magnet C (No longer on LARC) & Friendship RITC Tack-Speed 2000 (Still on LARC) ridiculously good for blocking in addition to being good for chopping & have a flat trajectory (low arc). Tack Speed 2000 used to be one of the most popular rubbers in China. I think thse two rubbers have shorter pimples underneath. I suspect 729 Geo Spin Tacky & KTL Pro XT may also be of this design.
Post #17 in thread below.
https://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=533128&page=2

Geändert von Carline (25.03.2024 um 18:28 Uhr)
Alt 28.03.2024, 13:51
Allsquared Allsquared ist offline
registrierter Besucher
erfahrenes Forenmitglied

Allsquared ist ein sehr geschätzer Mensch dessen Wort hier Gewicht hat (Renommeepunkte mindestens +250)Allsquared ist ein sehr geschätzer Mensch dessen Wort hier Gewicht hat (Renommeepunkte mindestens +250)Allsquared ist ein sehr geschätzer Mensch dessen Wort hier Gewicht hat (Renommeepunkte mindestens +250)Allsquared ist ein sehr geschätzer Mensch dessen Wort hier Gewicht hat (Renommeepunkte mindestens +250)
AW: Why does reverse rubber need pips underneath?

I am pretty sure the reason this rule exists is at least partially due to the history of the rule change.

When thick sponge rubbers were introduced to table tennis, the vast majority of players didn't like it and wanted to ban them. However, for a rule change to be approved, a 3/4 majority of associations was needed on the ITTF level. Ironically, this 3/4 requirement existed, so that the sport could not be changed fundamentally without vast support, but now the sport was changing fundamentally, and all of a sudden you need to 3/4 majority to keep it from being changed.

Anyway, Japan managed to convince enough associations to have a blocking minority, so sponge was being kept allowed. There was a real threat of a split within ITTF, because all European nations wanted to allow only hardbat play. England even banned sponge rubbers internally without it being banned on ITTF level (one of the reasons England fell behind from being a nation producing world champions to an also-ran).

In the end, what was allowed was a compromise between the sponge party and the hardbat party, but it was formulated in such a way to fool the hardbat party into thinking they had almost won, by saying that only pimpled rubbers are allowed, restricting the thickness, and then saying that a layer of sponge is allowed under the pimples and the pimples may also face inwards.
Remember, at that time the point of controversy was thick sponge rubbers, and they were banned, and the pro-hardbat associations thought now only pimple rubbers would be allowed, and the thin sponge layer underneath wouldn't make that much of a difference.
If the rule was formulated to say that sponge rubbers are allowed, and you can put a layer of rubber on top of the sponge, the pro-hardbat associations probably wouldn't have accepted this "compromise".

At least that is my theory.
Antwort

Lesezeichen

« Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »